Monday, April 24, 2006

 

I am still in existence and available for correspondence, btw go clippers...

I had a war with a very small dog last night. Well, not extremely small, not like a chihuaha or something, but a midsize shitzu, it peed I yelled I hit it barked it ran I ran I stalked it whined, it was probably the opposite of majestic, in that 2 AM sense of grandeur notwithstanding.

And there, an opening befitting someone who has other things on his mind than the fact that his baby girl of about a month & a half away has been diagnosed with Down Syndrome. And that’s me, I mean, we think about it, talk about it, but were so in it now, and content with it, and loving this little girl with all we have, that it has become part of us to the degree that it doesn’t dominate the mental platform.

Little girl is still kicking up a storm, moreso. We are very optimistic, therefore, in regards to her muscle tone. Fluid levels great. 70th percentile as far as growth! her legs are a little small in relation to her body, 24th percentile, but according to the doc that’s still within normal parameters. We are stoked. We did the tour of the maternity ward yesterday, saw a sample of the room my wife will give birth in, the nursery where they whisk baby away to put her in a burrito wrap, the recovery room, etcetera.

Getting baby’s room at la casa ready continues but has been backburnered a bit as mommy finishes up her final semester at the university. We’ve got the pink up as the main dish and still have to get the white on the ceiling and trim as the dessert. We’ve got crib, pack n play, stroller with car seat, all kine stuff from Carter, blankets, outfits, crib stuff, sheets, you name it. Well, we still gotta stock up on some stuff. Bottles, man, I had no idea how many diff kind bottles there are. You got this system that prevents air getting in there, and then you gotta pick out the baby carrier, and their little bathtub, yadda yadda yadda.

We are excited. Think we’ve got the first and middle name locked down, as well. Sorry, but that’s classified for now. We’re excited, we’re gonna be parents, it’s a beautiful thing.
I got other thoughts and random observations about the experience, as well as some concerns and issues I’d be curious to bounce off the innernet sounding wall, but for now I think I’ll leave it at that. Thanks for stopping by, and extra thanks to all the kind folks (especially kim, who came back and dropped additional knowledge) who offered advice on the telling the family issue. We still haven’t told a soul, we’re still debating how to handle it, some family will be here, and obviously it makes sense for them to know at least a little in advance so we don’t have to go thru the drama at the same time as we’re getting to know our baby girl, so we’ll see. Hope all is well in everyone’s yards. Aloha, gracias, be safe kids…

Comments:
Oh just reading all about your preparations, things to buy, your excitement is making me remember what that last month or so was like leading up to the big birth day! Your enthusiasm is infectious! I'm sure everything will work out with regards to telling who, and when, and how. You'll do what's best for your family. It does make sense to give some advance notice to the people who will be there so they can just focus on welcoming this little one into the world! When is the due date?
 
Glad to hear all is well on the homefront as mom completes her final semester-woo hoo, and the you both prepare for the littlest angel's arrival.
 
Talking about the kicking reminded me of the times when, in the last month or two (with both my children), I would sometimes lie in bed with my wife snuggled into me.

She would be asleep, but my child would be kicking me in the side. It felt like an intimate moment between me and them, just the two of us - something very special.

Hope you get to experience that too.
 
Just wanted to come by and wish your beloved wife happy mothers day, and to prod and ask when the wonderful due date is for Ms. Miss? I calculated late May mid June? So, can you enlighten us?
 
ok and another little input here.....a little test is very important the last few weeks I have found with those carrying a child with Down syndrome. Its called a "non-stress test" and it checks the heartrate of the baby, as sometimes the placenta breaks down early and the baby needs to be induced. I know, but many don't know about this. Our son was born at 37 weeks due to this, and many other babies with Ds that could have gone another 2 weeks or so, but the NST showed best to do it early. FYI.
 
thanks Mauzy, appreciate the info!

due date is June 8, but the OBGYN said she could be a little early, basically any time between end of may and June 8, they're telling us...

I will check with the OBGYN as to the non-stress test... I'm pretty sure they've been keeping a close eye on the heart, we just went in for our last sonogram, and they did an echo a couple weeks ago, but still merits asking...

will try to get an update posted in near future, have been slacking on this... (so much other stuff!!!)

hope all is well with everyone reading this...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?